Welcome to the Purple Roofs Newsletter for September, 2012!
We launched an all new version of the Purple Roofs gay travel site earlier this year, and now we’re updating the newsletter as well. We’ve broken our travel articles section into four parts – general travel news, travel event news (including upcoming events and reviews and photos pf past events), articles by our travel blogger friend Carlos Melia, and finally sweepstakes and contests.
We’ve got lots of other great stuff for you this month, too – including feature articles on Gay B&B’s, Puerto Rico, Southwestern France, Northampton MA, Leavenworth WA, San Miguel de Allende, Argentina, Maui Pride, and Toronto. We’re also featuring a number of other gay travel articles from around the world.
You’ll also find some great accommodation specials and discounts, tons of upcoming gay travel events, and much more.
Connextions Magazine is a travel and lifestyle publication, available in print and digital format, targeting readership to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities and their allies.
We offer a unique design, fabulous layouts and show-stopping photography, along with editorial content to enlighten, inspire, educate and inform.
The digital subscription is always FREE. Visit our website for more information.
Our Featured Articles This Month:
by Don and Ray, Gay Travelers
First of all, we want to clarify the term, “gay friendly” which is a term that we do not appreciate at all, but sometimes that term just has to be used. It’s kind of like saying “pet friendly” or “child friendly”. After all, EVERYPLACE should be friendly to everyone! Whether they are Jewish, African-American, Irish, Italian or gay or lesbian, all doors should be open to everyone.
by Matt Smith, Detour Travel
Every year the plantain is celebrated at Puerto Rico’s National Plantain Festival. It’s hosted by Corozal, a community of 40,000 people and a major producer of plantains. (In fact, the town’s men’s volleyball team is the Plataneros de Corozal, i.e. the “plantain growers” or “plantain pickers of Corozal.”) Every September/October, the festival fills Corozal with food, celebration, and more food. If you’re anything like me, that’s all you really need to know!
by Carol & Rob, Bellevue Holiday Apartment, Pujols, France
For those who love all things French or just enjoy the challenge of finding new places to explore come to the South West of France. The climate is largely Mediterranean with warm showery springs and hot summers. Autumn is beautiful with bountiful harvests and winters that are short but cold. The Lot valley is known as the fruit basket of France. Orchards abound Kiwi, apple, cherry, plums of all varieties including those that the make the famous Pruneaux d’Agen. Hazel nuts, wall nuts, soft fruits and seasonal vegetables all available at the daily markets held in the surrounding villages.
by Dee Boyle-Clapp, Starlight Llama Solar B&B, Florence, Massachusetts
Imagine a visit to the town with the distinction of being named the Best Small Arts Town in America. A place with a lovely walking downtown filled with small, locally owned stores, art galleries and vintage or antique shops. Imagine dining choices ranging from Argentinean to Thai, Indian and Mexican to American-fare featuring locally grown foods with nearly everything from the sauces to the veggie burgers made-in-house. Picture a community ringed with parks, bike paths, art, science and natural history museums, and wonderful and unique places to spend the night.
by David and Rachel Westergard, Pine River Ranch, Leavanworth, Washington
Summer is the time to spend with family and friends, enjoy some adventure and explore the great outdoors. With many families work schedules and budgets traveling close to home is becoming more popular. Located in Central Washington lies the quaint Bavarian village of Leavenworth; a perfect vacation on one tank of gas for Washington residents. The Bavarian village was plucked right out of a small German town and landed in Washington State. The fantastic German inspired shops, wonderful eateries and outdoor adventures at your fingertips make Leavenworth the perfect local getaway for every age, budget and traveler.
by Pam Sagrada, Sagrada Wellness Center
Planning a fall/winter vacation? San Miguel de Allende might be just what you are looking for. This majestic colonial city holds the best of Mexico in a single place. With its perfect weather all year round, this 4-century-old city has everything a traveler might wish. A stroll downtown through its cobblestone streets and colonial architecture it’s a treat in itself, with as many options you can imagine for restaurants, cafes, bars, nightclubs and countless boutiques. Day or night, San Miguel’s downtown is a lively Mexican traditional fiesta!
by Roy Heale
Mendoza is the fourth largest city in Argentina with a population of approximately one million people. It is the acclaimed capital of Agentina’s wine industry and famous for the Malbec vintage. Mendoza is nestled in the foothills of the Andes, about 1000 meters above sea level and is also a center for skiing in the nearby mountain peaks during July, August, and September. Attractive streetscapes, the beautiful parks and lakes, and pulsing nightlife are establishing Mendoza as a popular new gay vacation destination at a very reasonable cost. It is recognized by many LGBT tourists as the second most gay-friendly destination in Argentina after Buenos Aires. The dry desert-like climate provides perfect conditions for cultivating grapes and Mendoza is known as the country’s Wine Capital.
Mama always said, “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em”, so Maui decided to do so with its Pride Weekend. Rather than try to compete with the spectacular big events on the mainland in June, the board of Maui Pride very wisely decided to move our festivities to the weekend of October 5, 6 and 7th. So now you can continue your fun into the fall and enjoy the warm tropical climate of Maui! The weekend will kick off with a VIP sunset reception at the official hotel of the event on Friday evening from 5-7 pm. This will be followed by a dance party for all ages that is free and open to the public at Sharkey’s from 9 pm to midnight.
by Travel Out & About
Here at Traveline Out & About we like to share our travels with our followers. We recently visited Toronto, ON and discovered what a great city it is for gay Americans to visit. We are welcomed in this city like nowhere else! From the bellhop at the hotel, to the doorman at the bar. Everyone is open and accepting of the gay lifestyle. Here are some helpful tips on what you can expect. Walking up and down Church Street, Toronto’s gay hub of activity, you will notice several boutique shops and adult themed stores. Feel free to pop in and browse for whatever tickles your fancy.
More Gay Travel News
We also scour the web to bring you all the gay travel news we can find. You can see these posts on a daily basis at http://www.purpleroofs.com/gay-travel-blog, or sign up for our RSS feed. Here are some of our favorites from the last month:
ARGENTINA: Visiting Buenos Aires
When I first received an invitation to visit Argentina, I really didn’t know what to expect.
ASIA: Evolving on Gay Rights
Though they only numbered about 100, participants in Vietnam’s first LGBT Pride Parade beamed with joy.
TASMANIA, AUSTRALIA: Tasmania Courts Gay Tourism
TASMANIA’S gay and lesbian-friendly tourism operators say the state is in a prime position to lure more pink dollars.
AUSTRIA: Traveling Through Burgenland
Burgenland is not the Austria you have in mind.
BERMUDA: Travel Guide Warns Gay Tourists Away From Bermuda
Bermuda could be losing out on millions of tourist dollars because the Island is seen as not welcoming to gay people.
CANADA: The Canadian Rockies by Train
Some years ago, as a recent college graduate, I found myself traveling through the Scottish highlands.
CHINA: Lamma Island – Hong Kong’s Quieter Side
Though not a total culture shock for Westerners due to its British colonial heritage, Hong Kong can at times be overwhelming.
EUROPE: Europe’s Most Romantic Cities
Gay and lesbian travelers looking for a romantic escape should look no further than the gorgeous cities of Europe.
NEW BRUNSWICK, CANADA: Fall in New Brunswick
In autumn, as the leaves turn, the riverfront city of Fredericton is awash with fiery scarlets and bright yellows.
ONTARIO, CANADA: Niagara Falls Targets Gay Travelers, Among Others
In recent years, Niagara Falls has thrown open its doors to casino gambling, gay weddings and a tightrope walk that, until laws were relaxed, would have meant arrest.
ONTARIO, CANADA: What to Do in Stratford, Ontario
Boss making much ado about nothing? Been more than a twelfth night since you and your lover enjoyed a midsummer night’s dream?
ONTARIO, CANADA: World Eats – Toronto Edition
Toronto has seen its share of shiny new developments over the past decade.
ONTARIO, CANADA: Toronto – Gay Pride 365 Days of the Year
It’s been said that love is the universal language. But gay Pride comes in a close second.
QUEBEC, CANADA: What’s New in Gay Quebec City
Enchanting and gorgeous Quebec City is a must for travelers the world over.
QUEBEC, CANADA: Gay Montreal Travel Tips From New Now Next
Canada’s second biggest city is so gay they have two BIG gay pride events every summer, just weeks apart.
CHINA: Beijing for the First Time
A friend who spent most of his career writing about high-end travel told me recently that if there’s one thing people don’t want on a trip, it is surprises.
CUBA: Havana 24 Hours a Day
Puerta Vallarta — so 2000s. Key West — boring.
FRANCE: Strasbourg, France – One of Europe’s Great Capital Cities
The Council of Europe, the European Parliament, the European Court of Human Rights, the Eurocorps and other institutions all have their seat in Strasbourg.
GERMANY: Anti Tourism Sentiment on the Rise in Berlin?
Tourism to Berlin is booming as never before and filling the debt-ridden city’s coffers with much-needed cash.
GUATEMALA: Hard Rock Cafe Comes to Guatemala
Guatemala City will soon have a Hard Rock Cafe!
GUATEMALA: Fuego Erupts!
Antigua Guatemala awoke today to huge plumes of smoke and ash erupting from its local active volcano Fuego!
INDONESIA: Bali, Asia’s Ultimate Gay Travel Destination?
It is important that Lesbian and Gay travellers have the opportunity to express themselves.
ISRAEL: A Week in Gay Tel Aviv for the Romantic Couples
Gay Tel Aviv is knows as the city that never sleeps, in which you can party all night long and go on crazy adventures.
ISRAEL: Gay Travel Boosts Israeli Tourism
It’s priming for a risky showdown with Iran over its suspected nuclear program…
ISRAEL: The Complexity of Gay Life in Israel/Tamir Hod
In the past decade or so, Gay Tel Aviv has managed to establish itself as one of the major capitals in the international gay scene.
ISRAEL: Tel Aviv Emerging as a Gay Travel Hot Spot
With a growing popularity and excellent reviews, gay Tel Aviv is becoming one of the most travelled cities.
ITALY/SWITZERLAND: Traveling Through Italy and Switzerland
Riding the train, often through vast, scenic vistas (even en route to Hogwarts) has been romanticized for years-in my own life, too.
ITALY/SWITZERLAND: Travels in Italy and Switzerland
So much has happened since I last emailed everyone.
ITALY: Hello From Italy’s Lake Como
Yes, here we are on beautiful Lake Como, but please, don’t ask me if I have seen George Clooney.
ITALY: Visiting Verona, Italy
After a hot train trip, about 3-1/2 hours from Varenna, we arrived in Verona on Sunday afternoon.
ITALY: From Verona to Venice
Now, on to the last of the “V” cities, for awhile anyway.
ITALY: Time Flies By in Venice
Time is flying by! I do want to give you some pictures of Venice before I get into Florence
ITALY: Coming Home to Florence
Ah, yes! The roar of the scooters, the same gypsies begging in Piazza Annunziata.
ITALY: Sorrento and The Amalfi Coast
Our dear friend, Bella (Dolly Goolsby) is on the go again, this time in Italy.
ITALY: From Sorrento to Rome
Wow! Guess I have fallen behind in my blog posts. We had toured the Amalfi Coast on Tuesday.
MEXICO: Practical Phrases for Gay Travelers in Mexico
The attitude towards the LGBT community will vary as you travel throughout Mexico, just as it does anywhere else.
MEXICO: Lesbian Travel: Mexico City
I moved to Mexico City a year and a half ago to teach English after I graduated from college.
MIDDLE EAST: Gay Travel: Middle East Edition
When many travelers think of the Middle East as a gay destination, Tel Aviv is most likely to come to mind.
PORTUGAL: Gay Life in Portugal
“We have gay marriage? That’s great,” remarked a straight Lisbon native as we stood on the street drinking caipirinhas.
RUSSIA: Moscow Court Upholds Hundred Year Gay Pride Ban
A city court in Moscow Friday upheld a decision to ban LGBT pride parades for the next 100 years.
SOUTH AFRICA: Cape Town – The Gay Capital of South Africa
In a world where women are choosing to spend more time with their GBFF, finding locations where both you and your gay best friend will be free from the usual hassles and harassment from straight men is rather difficult.
SOUTH KOREA: Gay Travel: South Korea
Out Now a marketing consulting group focusing on research and study about Gay and Lesbian travellers’ trends will unveil at WTM London the results of the latest research.
SWEDEN: Stockholm, Sweden – The Gay Guide
Few places I’ve visited captivate my emotions as much as Stockholm, Sweden.
SWITZERLAND: The Magnificent Alps
What a gorgeous day we had. We splurged on a great hotel, so first thing this morning, I opened the door to our patio, and this was the view that greeted me.
THAILAND: Thailand Embracing Luxury Gay Travel
When I was first presented the opportunity to visit Thailand, I was somewhat reluctant to go.
TURKEY: Istanbul’s Culinary Scene
In the Turkish capital’s profusion of kebab stalls and shops selling powdery, pistachio-strewn Turkish delights, tourists may develop the impression that Turkish cuisine is dominated by hulks of meat and the sweet.
UNITED KINGDOM: Anti Gay B&B Owners Take Case to UK’s Top Court
A Christian couple in the U.K. who refused to allow a gay couple from staying in one of their guesthouse rooms have won the right to take their case to that country’s Supreme Court.
UNITED KINGDOM: Eight Great Caravan Parks in the UK
In a country which prides itself on diversity and tolerance, there’s no shortage of gay-friendly camping options here in the UK.
CALIFORNIA, USA: San Francisco Has a Long History of Gay Travel
It is said that the first gay visitors to San Francisco came with the Gold Rush of 1849.
CALIFORNIA, USA: Gay Travel: West Hollywood
In my first visit to the West Coast in many years, I decided to venture out to the land of dreams, Los Angeles.
CALIFORNIA, USA: New Gay Family Friendly Hotel Opening in Palm Springs in January
A new hotel set to open in January, in Palm Springs, a destination popular with gay travelers, has unveiled a twist.
MAUI, HAWAII, USA: The Gay Side of Maui
Thanks to John Fairbanks from GayTravel.com for contributing this post to GoGirlfriend.
ILLINOIS, USA: Out in Chicago
When a city boasts a neighborhood appropriately named “Boystown”, you know you are in for a treat.
MARYLAND, USA: Ocean City – A Great Hidden Travel Spot
Sand, the smell of the ocean and Thrasher’s Fries beckons me to the beach before the hoards of people come here.
MONTANA, USA: Visiting Yellowstone This Fall
It is not just the sudden-onset yellow transforming the towering aspens that provides the signal that fall has arrived in Yellowstone Country.
NEVADA, USA: Gay Travel – Las Vegas
What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas…unless you’re a journalist and have to write about it!
NEW YORK, USA: New York – Like Disney, With Fewer Lines
They call it the ‘city that never sleeps’ and this couldn’t be truer.
NEW YORK, USA: Buffalo, New York – The Queen City
All you really need to know about Buffalo, New York, is in its nickname: the “Queen City.”
NEW YORK, USA: Wandering Through Brooklyn
Wandering around Williamsburg, the hipster capital of Brooklyn, brings to mind my late father,.
NEW YORK, USA: Gay and Lesbian Couples Flocking to New York State for Weddings, Honeymoons
New York has a history of breakthroughs.
NEW YORK: What to Do in the Big Apple
Whether you call New York City the Big Apple, Gotham or the City that Never Sleeps, the treasures of this concrete jungle are calling you.
NEW YORK, USA: Fall Film Festivals in New York State
Good films really move you. Why stop at just one?
NEW YORK, USA: Fall in the Adirondack Mountains
This fall, discover New York’s military history, taste the delights of the harvest and experience the colorful fall foliage of the Adirondacks.
NEW YORK, USA: The Hamptons in the Fall
This fall season, explore the East End like an insider at some of the hottest spots to shop, eat, play and stay.
NEW YORK, USA: New York State’s Hidden Gem – The Finger Lakes
Where in New York can you find more waterfalls than stop signs?
OHIO, USA: Plans for Gay Games in Cleveland in 2014 Ahead of Schedule
Many people around the world were shocked when Cleveland beat Boston and Washington, D.C., in the battle to host the Gay Games in 2014.
TENNESSEE, USA: Memphis – A Gay Travel Oasis in a Conservative State
Tennessee may be a decidedly conservative state, but Memphis has developed into a popular destination for queer travelers in recent years.
VIRGINIA, USA: New Initiative Invites LGBT Travelers to Richmond, Virginia
Rainbow Over Richmond, an initiative created by local businesses and the Richmond Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau, is encouraging gay and lesbian travelers to visit Richmond.
WASHINGTON, USA: Out in Seattle
This city sculpted by Puget Sound and Lake Washington and crowned with leafy hills abounds with lively diversions, both indoor and outside.
WASHINGTON, USA: Huge New Gay Dance Club Opens in Seattle
The much anticipated Q Capitol Hill, a 12,000-square-foot dance club in Seattle’s gay neighborhood, experienced a grand opening on September 8 that could only be described as perfect.
New Gay Travel Website Launched
World Rainbow Hotels (WRH), the gay & lesbian travel organization which made the headlines a year and a half ago as the first ever supplier of gay-friendly hotels on the GDS, launched a new website.
New Poll: Gay Men take Twice as Many Vacations as Everyone Else
A new poll suggested gay men take double the national average number of holidays each year.
Davey Wavey: I Love (and Hate) Luxury Travel
Pardon the sensationalist headline, but I actually don’t hate anything.
Gay While Traveling
With same-sex marriages and civil unions legal in several states and cities, the end of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and an increasing public acceptance of our community, some have questioned if gay travel really still exists.
One Last Summer Trip?
With the days shortening – if just barely – hopeful travelers may be thinking of squeezing in one more summer vacation before settling in for the autumn grind.
Davey Wavey Travels Alone
In all the traveling that I’ve done, I’ve come to realize that even more important than the destinations you visit is with whom you’re able to share the experiences.
Gay Couple Sues United/Continental for Negligence, Emotional Distress in Baggage Incident
A gay couple from Virginia is suing Houston-based United/Continental Airlines.
Safety Tips for Women Travelers
Traveling solo can be an exhilarating experience.
Defining Gay Travel
Is it travel to a gay destination or merely the vacation exploits of two people in love, who happen to be of the same gender?
Gay Event Updates:
AZORES: First Gay Pride in the Azores a Success
More then 2000 people participated in the first-ever Pride March and Festival Pride Azores on September 1, 2012.
BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA: Vancouver Pride on Video
From joe.my.god – a video from Vancouver Gay Pride – attendance estimated at 500K:
PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND, CANADA: Fall Food Festivals on Prince Edward Island
A bucolic isle in Atlantic Canada, Prince Edward Island is renowned for its mussels and oysters.
QUEBEC, CANADA: Montreal Gay Pride 2012 in Video
From joe.my.god, a video of Montreal’s Gay Pride – enjoy!
QUEBEC, CANADA: Black & Blue Party Coming to Montreal in October
Sometimes, being black and blue, isn’t a bad thing!
QUEBEC,CANADA: Festival Season in Montreal
Some locals claim that Montreal has only two seasons: winter and festivals.
CARIBBEAN: Drag Queens on the Caribbean – Cruise Set for December 2nd
Additional inventory has opened up aboard the wildly popular Drag Stars at Sea: Revenge of the Wench cruise.
CHINA: Hong Kong Gay Pride Coming in November
This November 10th, the pride of Hong Kong will radiate across this beaming metropolis.
CURACAO: Visit Curacao This Month for the “Get Wet” Weekend
“Get Wet” in Curacao! In celebration of the diverse and gay friendly community, the beautiful island of Curacao will kick off its eighth annual Get Wet Weekend.
CZECH REPUBLIC: Prague’s First Gay Pride Parade in Video
Kevin Richburg travels the world in pursuit of his 30 Postcard Project, in which he collects actual, handwritten postcards inviting him to visit various cities across the globe.
CZECH REPUBLIC: Prague Pride in Pictures
The Czech capitol of Prague saw it’s second Pride Parade and thousands marched.
DENMARK: Copenhagen Gay Pride 2012 in Photos
On Saturday, August 18, more than 15,000 LGBT people and their allies enjoyed great weather, eye-catching floats and an amazing sense of community at Copenhagen Pride.
DENMARK: Gay Pride in Denmark – The Video
With summer coming to a close, the celebrators of gay pride around the world are packing their sequins, feathers, and wigs away for another year.
EUROPE: Europe’s Top LGBT Film Festivals
With summer winding down and Pride season officially over, so ends your chances of experiencing a major gay event in Europe this year, right?
FAROE ISLANDS: Gay Pride in the Faroe Islands
A country of 50,000 citizens sandwiched between Iceland and Norway, the Faroe Islands is one of the smallest nations on earth.
GERMANY: Berlin’s Folsom Europe 2012 in Photos
Euro fetish lovers were out in force last Saturday for the 9th annual Folsom Europe.
ICELAND: Reykjavik Mayor Jon Gnarr Wears Pink Dress for Gay Pride Parade
Now here’s a progressive mayor: Reykjavik Mayor Jon Gnarr rode through the streets of the Icelandic capital in a bright pink dress and matching balaclava.
GERMANY: Pride and Oktoberfest
Pride and Oktoberfest in Germany
Each year in October, the city of Munich is taken over by the wonderful spirit of Oktoberfest!
NETHERLANDS: Amsterdam Gay Pride 2012 in Photos
Amsterdam hosted its 17th annual Canal Parade on Saturday, August 4.
NETHERLANDS: Amsterdam Pride 2012 in Pictures
We’ve got more to share from Amsterdam’s recent Canal Parade, along with more unbridled love for the gay-gracious Dutch capital.
SPAIN: Sitges, Spain Shows its Gay Pride
Sitges, Spain (just south of Barcelona) held its third Gay Pride this year.
SPAIN: “Into the Tank” in Madrid in October
This October 11th, one of the biggest gay parties in Madrid kicks off and invites you to jump “Into the Tank”!
SWEDEN: Stockholm Pride in Photos
I’ve taken pictures at Pride festivals all over the world, but none were as fun and energetic as the 15th annual Stockholm Pride.
UGANDA: Country Celebrates Gay Pride for the First Time
Last week in the Ugandan city of Entebbe, LGBT activist staged the country’s first Pride Parade.
UNITED KINGDOM: UK Black Pride 2012 in Photos
The seventh annual UK Black Pride took place last weekend at London’s Ministry of Sound in Elephant & Castle.
CALIFORNIA, USA: Photos From San Francisco’s “Up Your Alley”
SoMA in San Francisco has been a hub for the leather community for decades.
CALIFORNIA: San Diego Pride A Blast!
For me, the most memorable moments of Pride were not the ones made in the clubs boasting a ridiculous door cost.
CALIFORNIA, USA: Halloween in West Hollywood
This October 31st, the streets of West Hollywood come alive with the annual Halloween Costume Carnaval!
CALIFORNIA, USA: Folsom Street Fair Comes to San Francisco on September 23rd
On the streets of San Francisco this September 23rd, you might just get more than your fancy tickled!
CALIFORNIA, USA: Gay Days Disneyland October 5th-7th
At GoGirlfriend, we rarely turn down a chance to celebrate – especially if it involves great food.
CALIFORNIA, USA: Special Gay History Tour at Oakland Museum September 28th
The history of the gay rights movement in the Bay Area and throughout the state of California will be explored.
FLORIDA, USA: The History of Disney World Gay Days
What is Gay Days? Orlando Florida’s Gay Days Celebration is not a single event. It is a total gay and lesbian vacation experience.
FLORIDA, USA: Orgullo Festival Brings Hispanic Pride to Miami Beach in October
It’s no coincidence that the producers of Art Basel chose Miami Beach as their U.S. home.
LOUISIANA, USA: Dykadence at Southern Decadence
We are thrilled to announce the 4th annual DYKEADENCE, celebrated over Labor Day weekend in New Orleans.
NEW ENGLAND, USA: Time for a New England Road Trip!
Roadtrippers.com is a simple, powerful road trip planner that puts each user in the driver’s seat.
NEW YORK, USA: Broadway’s Hottest Fall Plays
If the fall season’s crop of musicals is a sparse and eccentrically planted lot, the roster of plays is lush with big ideas.
TEXAS, USA: Austin Gay Pride Next Weekend
Austin Pride takes place Sept. 22 with a run, festival and night parade.
WASHINGTON, USA: Fourth Annual Gay Film Festival At Sea Coming in 2013
Pride of the Ocean, the originator of the gay and lesbian film festival at sea, announced its 2013 cruise itinerary.
My TOP 10 recent favorite Hotel Stays in the World
Dear followers, my column on Luxury Gay Travel for 429MAGAZINE at www.dot429.com is OUT and ONLINE.
HUDSON Hotel New York shows its new face
Periodically we’ll feature one of our properties here to let our readers know about some great gay friendly places to stay.
Hotel CHECK IN at Andaz 5th Avenue in New York
Just checked in at my wonderful Loft Suite at the Andaz 5th. Avenue in Manhattan, right of 5th Avenue and steps away from Bryant Park.
My Smallest Camera Ever Even Goes Underwater
If you follow me, you will already know that I love doing videos underwater, either in Thailand, or St Barth.
New York Public Library Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
Yesterday I came out of my hotel in New York, part of my weekend plans to be a tourist in my own city.
Russia: The Research has Begun for My Trip Next October
The research has began for my upcoming trip to Russia, next October 2012.
Andaz 5th Avenue New York City
Last Friday I checked IN at the Andaz 5th Avenue Hotel, in New York City.
Do I need a VISA or not
VisaHQ.com is a great source of updated information on VISAS Worldwide.
Colonia del Sacramento UNESCO World Cultural Heritage
Dear followers and friends, my weekly column on Luxury Gay Travel for 429 MAGAZINE at the leading and world’s largest LGBTA Professional Network www.dot429.com, is OUT and ONLINE.
Istanbul bridge between Europe and Asia
Carlos Melia, our Luxury Gay Travel Guru, shares with us his experience between west and east, Europe and Asia, in Istanbul, Turkey.
Hotel Check IN my Corner Suite at Andaz Wall Street
Hi there everyone from the heart of the financial district here in Manhattan, right on Wall Street.
My 07 days in India portrayed by 30 Postcards Project
Great video by friend and colleague Kevin Richberg on his project 30 Postcards around the world.
Andaz Wall Street Hotel in New York City
Following with my research for Luxury Stay + Dine Weekends in New York City for Tourists or Locals, this weekend I Checked IN at the Andaz Wall Street hotel.
Mauer Park Flea Market in Berlin
Mauerpark is a public park in Berlin’s Prenzlauer Berg district in the former West Berlin.
My experience at Luang Prabang in Laos
When I was prompted to visit Luang Prabang, the first thought which came into my mind was, what is there to see or experience?
NEW YORK, USA: The River Cafe Restaurant Never Disappoints
The River Cafe in Brooklyn under the Brooklyn Bridge and overlooking the skyline of Manhattan NEVER dissapoints.
My Weekend in Los Angeles So Far
Good Morning everyone.!!! From Beverly Hills. The L’Ermitage Hotel where I am staying is FAB.
Carlos Melia LIVE from Hollywood
Reporting live from Hollywood in Los Angeles.
AIRE Ancient Bath Hamam Experience in Tribeca
Yes you read right, now you can have your own Hamam experience in New York City at AIRE Ancient Bath.
La Silhouette Restaurant New York
French Bistro located in the neighborhood of Hell’s Kitchen in Manhattan ( 53rd Street in between 9th and 8th Avenue ).
My Long Weekend in Los Angeles
This weekend I came all the way from New York City to Los Angeles, California.
My Chronicles of Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires is a city that boasts European heritage from its people, architecture and culture.
Back in New York
Well they actually have two locations in the city, but since I moved from Chelsea to Hell’s Kitchen, now I am addicted to this one.
Varanasi, India – Luxury on Life Experiences
Varanasi, is a city located on the banks of River Ganges, known to be one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world and the oldest in India.
Travel in the Palm of your hand: TOP 10 Travel Apps
Celebrating the release of the new iPhone 5, I will share with you this week, my TOP 10 Travel Apps out there.
Gay Travel Events in September, October and November:
Check out our new events calendar, where we list gay events around the world – http://www.purpleroofs.com/gay-travel-events.html. Here are the events for the next two months:
- Australia, NSW, Coffs Harbour: Oct 26-Oct 28, CoastOut 2012. http://bit.ly/m48VRG
- Australia, QLD, Brisbane: Sep 28-Oct 1, ManCamp 2012. http://bit.ly/QVbOOp
- Belgium, Bussels: Nov 8-Nov 17, Annual Pink Screens in Brussels 2012. http://bit.ly/jnj4Tz
- Canada, MB, Winnipeg: Oct 9-Oct 14, Reel Pride Winnipeg 2012. http://bit.ly/lijO0g
- Canada, QC, Montreal: Oct 3-Oct 9, Black & Blue Party2012. http://bit.ly/b5PuyZ
- Canada, QC, Montreal: Oct 25-Nov 4, image+nation, Montreal International LGBT Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/j3Ti7d
- China, Hong Kong: Sep 30-Dec 6, Pink Season Gay/Lesbian Festival 2011. http://bit.ly/qxM1B3
- China, Hong Kong: Nov 10, Hong Kong Gay Pride 2012. http://bit.ly/NwRSkm
- Denmark, Copenhagen: Oct 19-Oct 28, MIX COPENHAGEN | LesbianGayBiTrans Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/jKrh94
- England, London: Nov 12-Nov 14, GFEST – Gaywise FESTival 2012. http://bit.ly/lk3pDJ
- France, St. Etienne: Nov 22-Nov 25, FACE a FACE Festival du film gay et lesbien de Saint-Etienne 2012. http://bit.ly/kzKnxN
- France, Ile de France, Paris: Oct 5-Oct 14, Paris Gay, Lesbian, Trans Film Festival – Cheries-Cheris 2012. http://bit.ly/k1zj3D
- France, Ile de France, Paris: Oct 31-Nov 4, Paris International Lesbian and Feminist Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/lMxl6E
- Germany, Bremen: Oct 9-Oct 14, QueerFilm Festival Bremen 2012. http://bit.ly/igVksI
- Germany, Esslingen: Nov 1-Nov 7, Queer Film Festival Esslingen 2012. http://bit.ly/jYIIeU
- Germany, Hamburg: Oct 16-Oct 21, Lesbisch Schwule Filmtage Hamburg | International Queer Film Festival 2011. http://bit.ly/lDMy8a
- Germany, Karlsruhe: Oct 2-Oct 7, Lesbisch-Schwule Filmtage Karlsruhe 2012. http://bit.ly/jSULIP
- Germany, Rostock: Oct 18-Oct 20, QueerFilmFest Rostock 2012. http://bit.ly/mop1NL
- Italy, Bologna: Oct 27-Nov 3, Gender Bender Festival Internazionale Bologna 2012. http://bit.ly/jQ67U9
- Italy, Emilia Romagna, Bologna: Sep 20-Sep 23, Some Prefer Cake – Bologna Lesbian Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/lvXE5H
- Italy, Lazio, Rome: Oct 26-Nov 3, Rome International Fim Festival. http://bit.ly/9i4Aqs
- Italy, Lombardy, Bergamo: Sep 28-Sep 29, Expo Gay Tourism 2012. http://bit.ly/H1woVP
- Italy, Tuscany, Florence: Oct 25-Oct 31, Florence Queer Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/iW200S
- Japan, Kyoto: Oct 12-Oct 14, Kansai Queer Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/e9CsIs
- Mexico, JAL, Puerto Vallarta: Nov 21-Nov 25, Vallarta Fever 2012. http://bit.ly/qzsg7
- Mexico, Yucatan, Merida: Nov 8, Fancinegay – Cine Gay y Lesbico Extremadura 2012. http://bit.ly/iNcUIw
- Romania, Cluj-Napoca: Nov 13-Nov 19, Serile Filmului Gay (Gay Film Nights) International Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/ky0Aei
- Scotland, Glasgow: Oct 15-Nov 3, Glasgay! 2012. http://bit.ly/irDnzg
- Slovenia, Ljubljana: Nov 24-Dec 2, Ljubljana Gay and Lesbian Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/iL3JZL
- South Africa, Gauteng, Johannesburg: Oct 6, Johannesburg Pride 2012. http://bit.ly/cz48Zx
- South Africa, Gauteng, Johannesburg: Oct 19-Oct 28, Out in Africa Film Festival 2012 Part 3. http://bit.ly/fVy6D9
- South Africa, Gauteng, Soweto: Sep 29, Soweto Pride 2012. http://bit.ly/NWs2bu
- South Africa, Western Cape, Cape Town: Oct 19-Oct 28, Out in Africa Film Festival 2012 Part 3. http://bit.ly/fVy6D9
- Spain, Lisbon: Sep 21-Sep 29, Queer Lisboa / Lisbon Gay and Lesbian Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/hJhPSP
- Spain, Madrid: Oct 11, Into the Tank 2012. http://bit.ly/i0LqDh
- Spain, Madrid: Nov 1-Nov 11, LESGAICINEMAD: The Madrid Gay and Lesbian Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/iFcHX1
- Switzerland, Geneva: Sep 21-Sep 30, Everybody’s Perfect – Festival du film gay et lesbien (LGBTIQ) de Geneve 2012. http://bit.ly/lK1jax
- Switzerland, Luzern: Nov 15-Nov 21, Pink Panorama LesBiSchwules Festival Luzern 2012. http://bit.ly/lZxV6b
- USA, AR, Eureka Springs: Oct 27-Oct 30, Eureka Springs Pride – Fall Diversity Weekend 2012. http://bit.ly/H4trrv
- USA, AZ, Tucson: Oct 13-Oct 14, Pride on Parade 2012, Downtown. http://bit.ly/diN5Gs
- USA, CA, Anaheim: Oct 5-Oct 7, Gay Days Anaheim 2012, Disneyland. http://bit.ly/aEQFIl
- USA, CA, Fresno: Sep 19-Sep 23, Fresno Reel Pride Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/fuJBF4
- USA, CA, Los Angeles: Oct 7, Freedom to Marry National Engagement Party, Private Home, 4-6:30 PM. http://bit.ly/S9xaG6
- USA, CA, Oakland: Sep 28, Discover California’s GLBT History, Oakland Museum, 7 PM. http://bit.ly/R1UpHk
- USA, CA, Palm Springs: Sep 20-Sep 23, The Palm Springs Gay and Lesbian Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/g1VYwr
- USA, CA, Palm Springs: Oct 5-Oct 7, Big Men’s Weekend 2012. http://bit.ly/tozIRl
- USA, CA, Palm Springs: Oct 6, Freedom to Marry National Engagement Party, Private Home, 6-7:30 PM. http://bit.ly/PgAmQ4
- USA, CA, Palm Springs: Nov 1, Palm Springs Leather Pride 2011. http://bit.ly/d1EhI0
- USA, CA, Palm Springs: Nov 3-Nov 4, Palm Springs Pride 2012. http://bit.ly/gN3bdM
- USA, CA, San Diego: Oct 13, North County Pride 2012, Betty’s Lot, 11 AM-6 PM. http://bit.ly/186zuu
- USA, CA, San Francisco: Sep 23, Folsom Street Fair 2012. http://bit.ly/KE8Ou
- USA, CA, San Francisco: Sep 23-Sep 23, Aftershock 2012, Club X, 4 PM-10 AM. http://wsupnow.com/sfo/aftershock-2012-sep-23-2012-city-nights
- USA, CA, San Francisco: Oct 6-Oct 6, Madonna 2012 Tour San Jose, HP Pavilion, 8 PM-12 AM. http://wsupnow.com/sfo/madonna-2012-tour-san-jose-oct-06-2012
- USA, CA, San Francisco: Oct 7-Oct 7, 2012 Madonna Tour: San Jose, HP Pavilion, 8 PM-12 AM. http://wsupnow.com/sfo/2012-madonna-tour-san-jose-oct-07-2012-hp-pavilion
- USA, CA, San Francisco: Oct 13, Freedom to Marry National Engagement Party, Private Home, 6:30-8:30 PM. http://bit.ly/QGh8bW
- USA, CA, San Francisco: Oct 31-Nov 2, 13th Annual Conference on Gay and Lesbian Tourism. http://bit.ly/H8Eoqw
- USA, CA, San Francisco: Oct 31-Nov 2, International Conference on Gay & Lesbian Tourism. http://bit.ly/TR2Ps
- USA, CA, Santa Barbara: Nov 8-Nov 11, OUTrageous: The Santa Barbara LGBTQ Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/kagU5H
- USA, DC, Washington: Oct 13, Freedom to Marry National Engagement Party, Private Home, 6:30-9 PM. http://bit.ly/PaPcJL
- USA, FL, Ft. Lauderdale: Oct 4-Oct 7, Fort Lauderdale Gay & Lesbian Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/hardm
- USA, FL, Ft. Lauderdale: Oct 28-Nov 4, Poz Cruise – Gay and Lesbian HIV Cruise Retreat. http://bit.ly/q8OzpD
- USA, FL, Gainesville: Sep 29, Pride Picnic Gainesville 2012, Westside Park. http://bit.ly/i0Tcb3
- USA, FL, Gainesville: Sep 29, Gainesville Pride Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/KgPzxD
- USA, FL, Jacksonville: Oct 13-Oct 21, River City Pride 2012. http://bit.ly/KYUCXL
- USA, FL, Key West: Oct 19-Oct 28, Fantasy fest 2012. http://bit.ly/4D95Z
- USA, FL, Key West: Oct 23, Headhunters Ball 2012. http://bit.ly/qRBuss
- USA, FL, Miami: Oct 4-Oct 7, Fort Lauderdale Gay and Lesbian Film Festival 2011. http://bit.ly/lOeNqu
- USA, FL, Miami: Oct 13, Freedom to Marry National Engagement Party, Private Home, 6-9 PM. http://bit.ly/TI84nr
- USA, FL, Miami Beach: Oct 6, Orgullo Festival 2012 (Hispanic Pride). http://bit.ly/Rufhb1
- USA, FL, Miami Beach: Nov 21-Nov 26, White Party Week 2012. http://bit.ly/1LnjB7
- USA, FL, Ocala: Oct 6, Ocala Pride 2012, Copa Tropix. http://bit.ly/LGMEmm
- -USA, FL, Orlando: Oct 1-Oct 7, Orlando Pride 2012. http://bit.ly/h72fzN
- USA, FL, Sarasota: Oct 20, Sarasota Pride 2012. http://bit.ly/awTLsM
- USA, GA, Atlanta: Oct 4-Oct 11, Out on Film 2012. http://bit.ly/icAkWw
- USA, GA, Atlanta: Oct 13-Oct 14, Atlanta Pride 2012. http://bit.ly/eAa1Xb
- USA, HI, Wailuku, Maui: Oct 5-Oct 7, Maui Pride 2012, Maui Tropical Plantation. http://bit.ly/NuK4fK
- USA, IL, Chicago: Nov 1, REELING Annual Chicago Lesbian and Gay International Film Festival 2011. http://bit.ly/mGLN0p
- USA, IN, Indianapolis: Nov 1, Indianapolis GLBT Film Festival 2011. http://bit.ly/lGSwA0
- USA, MA, Boston: Sep 28-Oct 2, Boston Latino Pride 2012. http://bit.ly/KKu3Y6
- USA, MA, Boston: Oct 1-Oct 7, Boston InterPride 2012. http://bit.ly/O8wsNf
- USA, MA, Provincetown: Nov 30-Dec 2, Holly Folly Provincetown 2012. http://bit.ly/7gaeBc
- USA, MN, Minneapolis: Oct 5-Oct 7, Gaylaxicon 2012, Doubletree Hotel Minneapolis-Park Place. http://bit.ly/MEDPJC
- USA, NC, Asheville: Oct 6, Blue Ridge Pride 2012, Pack Square, 12-6 PM. http://bit.ly/eS3ED7
- USA, NC, Charlotte: Sep 21-Sep 23, Charlotte Festival in the Park 2012, Freedom Park. http://bit.ly/19N8un
- USA, NC, Charlotte: Sep 29, North Carolina Pride 2012. http://bit.ly/Tnemd
- USA, NC, Victoria: Oct 11-Oct 12, Travel Gay Canada 2012 LGBT Tourism Conference. http://bit.ly/Ncbmv5
- USA, NJ, Asbury Park: Sep 24, Garden State Rainbow Pride Festival 2012, Asbury Park. http://bit.ly/LIHrYc
- USA, NM, Albuquerque: Sep 28-Oct 7, Southwest Gay and Lesbian Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/nBc5l2
- USA, NY, New York: Oct 13, Freedom to Marry National Engagement Party, Private Home, 6:30-8:30 PM. http://bit.ly/QMLwvJ
- USA, NY, Rochester: Oct 5-Oct 14, ImageOut The Rochester Lesbian & Gay Film & Video Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/m9cbZz
- USA, OR, Portland: Sep 28-Oct 6, Portland Lesbian and Gay Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/ew89jA
- USA, PA, Philadelphia: Oct 7, OutFest 2012. http://bit.ly/dIWLUg
- USA, PA, Pittsburgh: Oct 14-Oct 23, Pittsburgh International Lesbian and Gay Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/irkLhX
- USA, SC, Boiling Springs: Sep 22, Upstate Pride 2011, TBD. http://bit.ly/eLoMQf
- USA, SC, Columbia: Oct 20, South Carolina Pride 2012. http://bit.ly/9BOl94
- USA, TN, Memphis: Oct 6, Mid-South Pride Festival and Parade 2012, Robert Church Park. http://bit.ly/OM3iUJ
- USA, TX, Austin: Sep 22, Austin Pride 2012. http://bit.ly/g5kph5
- USA, TX, Austin: Oct 4-Oct 7, Austin Gay & Lesbian International Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/hujZG9
- USA, UT, Park City: Nov 4-Jan 8, Utah Gay & Lesbian Ski Week 2012. http://bit.ly/sBvSE6
- USA, VA, Richmond: Sep 29, PrideFest Virginia 2011, 1-8 PM. http://bit.ly/f15g4b
- USA, VT, Burlington: Sep 22, Pride Vermont 2012, Church St., 12-1 PM. http://bit.ly/18kZld
- USA, WA, Seattle: Oct 11-Oct 21, Seattle Lesbian & Gay Film Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/kStu05
- USA, WA, Seattle: Oct 18, Wicked for Marriage, Paramount Theater, 7:30 PM. http://bit.ly/L5GFmv
- USA, WI, Milwaukee: Oct 20-Oct 23, Milwaukee LGBT Film/Video Festival 2012. http://bit.ly/jhAFlc
Sign Up for Our Gay Travel Sweepstakes
US Virgin Islands Sweepstakes: We’re teaming up with the beautiful Sand Castle on the Beach in the US Virgin Islands (http://www.sandcastleonthebeach.com/) to give away 5 nights in the Caribbean.
Check Out Our Special Offer Section
Our innkeepers and travel agents offer exclusive specials to travelers who find them on Purple Roofs. This month, we have 141 Accommodation/Tour offers listed in 19 countries! No membership required.
Visit Our Other Websites:
Gayapolis: Personals, daily news, and a great gay and lesbian directory.
Mi Casa Su Casa: Our home trade network, with over 308 members around the world, for just $75 for 5 years.
Gay Realty Network: Real estate professionals around the world.
Purple Unions: Gay friendly wedding vendors around the world.
Find Us On Twitter:
We now have a twitter account – follow us at http://twitter.com/purpleroofs.
Find Us On Facebook:
We now have a facebook page too – like us at http://www.facebook.com/purpleroofs.
Find Us On Google+:
We now have a Google+ page as well – follow us at https://plus.google.com/105511413517642023561/posts.
Marriage Equality News:
Also check out Gay Marriage Watch, our daily news blog about gay marriage: We bring you all the news on the fight for gay marriage daily. Join our blog email list by sending a subscription request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Find the full blog at http://www.purpleunions.com/blog/index.html. You can now also find us on Twitter with regular updates every day at http://www.twitter.com/gaymarriagewatc.
That’s it for this month – enjoy the newsletter!
Mark & Scott
PurpleRoofs – http://www.purpleroofs.com
PO Box 4666, El Dorado Hills, CA 95762
PS: Wanna sponsor this newsletter and reach over 25,000 people? Email us at email@example.com for details.
To be removed from this email list, just reply to this email to firstname.lastname@example.org and enter “remove” in the subject line.